Thursday, November 7, 2013

Feels like home

Our dear friends moved from NoVa to Nashville, eleven driving hours away. There were tears the morning they took off in July, and great anticipation for the next time we would see them. November felt a long time away. There was great rejoicing when we got in a bonus visit! We spent a weekend with the oldest daughter in October, as her parents finished up some business in town.

The day for our visit there arrived, as did we, this afternoon. As soon as we walked in the house, it felt like home: the familiar artwork, the wall of bookshelves, the pantry full of Costco-sized staples, and, of course, the family.

After hugs and squeals, the girls settled in. They pulled out sparkly gel pens and paper. Later, the dolls joined them.

Nashville has always meant family to me. My grandparents lived here, and we made many a journey from the DC suburbs for visits. My parents would do the drive in one long day. We'd have dinner at a soda fountain, ordering dessert first and a burger after. Then I would fall asleep for the rest of the trip, awaking as the car turned into the driveway. My grandmother, Louise, would put me to bed in a big four-poster, and I'd open my eyes in a sun drenched room.

For breakfast, I'd have Grape Nuts with milk and sugar. More like sugar and milk: Louise was generous with the sugar cubes and would let me help myself. She made the best fried chicken, but my favorite was the cinnamon apples. On the road, I picked up a pound of red hot candies to bake my childhood favorite for our girls.

Core the apples, fill with cinnamon hearts, add a pat of butter. Bake at 350 until soft.

Dinner was a southern classic: Krystal burgers. All these years later, the restaurant's gimmick is the same, even though the menu has expanded. Everything is miniature. The burgers are 2"x2" square, served on a bun with minced onion, mustard, and sliced pickles. The chicken tenders are popcorn size, with an incredible ratio of crispy coating to actual meat. The corn dogs are adorable. Afterward, I built the requisite tower of Krystal burger boxes.

My record tower height was ten boxes tall.

Kathy has already planned future visits, and she says this is her "Nashville home." It is so nice to have family -- by blood or by choice -- in Nashville.

The grown ups toasted the occasion with strawberry margaritas.
Here's to great friends, and a full, if short, vacation.
 

 

1 comment: