Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Poached in Salsa

You know how routine can be both a security blanket and a crutch? How a day, week, or month all planned out can be both satisfying and stultifying? How traditions provide comfort, yet sometimes you need a break?

This blog is about comfort, routine ... and shaking things up. The name is inspired by radio interview and a jar of salsa.

In brief:

I like to fry an egg in butter, flip it with a flick of the pan before the top of the white has set, count to ten, and slide it onto the plate. A pinch of salt, a grind of black pepper, and I am satisfied, comforted, and full.

On the radio one morning, a Mexican chef described her simply perfect egg: she poaches it in salsa. I'd never thought of doing that, but now I wanted to try it.

Soon after, I picked up a jar of tomatillo salsa at Trader Joe's. For breakfast the next morning, I heated up the spicy, green sauce in my omelet pan, broke the egg on top, and let it poach until the white was set but the yolk still ran.

I won't call it a revelation, but, wow, that egg was good!

It's just a little thing, an egg poached in salsa, but it made me happy and reminded me to try something new. This tweak in routine -- cooking my egg in salsa instead of frying it in butter -- inspired me. Not only to try this cooking method with traditional tomato sauce and olive tapenade, but to start a blog. This is pushing me out of my comfort zone and routine, for sure.

What have you done that's new to you? How did it work out for you? I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks for reading!

Louisa

2 comments:

  1. So true, that struggle between needing routines and yet needing a break from them. Maybe that's why the yearly homeschool group camping trip is so popular!

    Ourselves, we need our homeschooling routines to get our work done; but I've made a vow to schedule one field trip a month this year. Newseum, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've found that getting homeschool stuff done in the morning works best for us, but every so often we take a "field trip" -- educational or not.

      Nice choice on the Newseum, as it might be the only one open for a while. No crowds at the Smithsonian today.

      Delete